In most countries, money does not really overrule the justice. If you are breaking the street rules, you will be ticketed.
BUT if you ever get ticketed by the traffic police in Indonesia because of these reasons :
- You are in the 3 in 1 system area in Jakarta but you don’t have 3 people in the car including you. (Check out this post for more information)
- One of your side mirrors is gone because it is taken forcefully. (Check out this post for more information and action)
- You have a flat tire and you can’t find the nearest tire repairman or ‘tukang tambal ban’. (Check out this post to know what I mean)
- You are riding a motorcycle without using a helmet, or maybe you pass the red light line. (See this post for more information)
- You use the busway lane even though you are in an emergency. (Check this one to see more information)
- Or many other reasons because the traffic police is usually ‘hungry’
You don’t need to worry because you can avoid the ticket. You don’t do that by running from the police, of course.
This practice has always been a controversial issue in Indonesia. Some believe that it is not right to the justice, but some are happy because they can avoid the ticket just by giving a certain amount of money.
Exactly, shoot the police with money. The term ‘shoot’ or ‘tembak‘ is used in Indonesia to replace the word ‘bribe’.
First, they ask you to pull over your car. Then telling you the reasons of why you are pulled over, or often they will ask you first whether you know your mistake or not.
Second, they will ask for your driving license, then give you the ticket.
Third, you can now choose 1 of the 2 options. Either you go to the nearest court from where you ticketed to have a hearing and take your license back by paying up some money to the justice.
OR you can just tell the police that you want to be in good terms like “Let’s just finish this with other method, sir” or “baik-baik saja lah pak”. Then the traffic police will name the price. It varies greatly from IDR 50.000 ($ US 5) to IDR 500.000 ($ US 50), and you can try to bargain a little.
Then you will get stamped in your hand sometimes. What is this for? It’s to show to the other traffic police if you get pulled over again. After that, you can continue your driving.
Pretty neat, huh? Well, this is Indonesia.
(See this video below about 46 vehicles getting ticketed because they entered the busway lane)
(See this video too about a face to face bribery interaction)
(Credits go respectfully to the rightful owner)